Canada: Muslim stabber in army recruiting centre jihad attack released, allowed to attend Mohawk College

The mentally ill man found not criminally responsible for trying to kill three soldiers at a Toronto recruiting centre will be allowed to attend Mohawk College across the street from the secure psychiatric unit where he’s currently being detained, the Sun has learned.

And while Ayanle Hassan Ali will be supervised initially, the Ontario Review Board’s plan is that he will eventually be allowed to attend classes on his own over the next year.

Yet in its own reasons for decision, the board also found Ali, who suffers from schizophrenia, “still poses a significant threat to the safety of the public” and “holds some of the same delusions, that he experienced at the time of the (attack).”

He also “continues to express concerns about the Canadian government and its interactions with Muslim countries.”

So naturally, let him go to college “indirectly supervised” in just his first year since being found NCR.

How does that protect the public?

“These passes will only be granted by the hospital on a gradual basis and on a “when and if” basis Mr. Ali is ready to exercise them,” the board wrote in its decision, almost sensing the questions that should rightfully be asked.

“Otherwise, they will not be granted.”

Ali, 30, has been held in the secure forensic unit at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Hamilton ever since the terrifying March attack in 2016 when he burst into the North York recruiting office on Yonge St. wielding a large kitchen knife. He later told psychiatrists that he believed soldiers were a “legitimate target” due to Canada’s military action in Muslim countries.

“I have a licence to kill, I have a green light to kill,” Ali had written in his diary. “One soldier is all it takes, just one.”

According to the ORB reasons, Ali was hearing voices at the time through the TV and radio and believed he should “martyr himself.” In an initial interview after his arrest, he said he was disappointed he hadn’t been killed.

During the attack, he punched, slashed and stabbed a corporal at the entrance to the recruiting centre.

He chased a sergeant who rushed out of her office and narrowly missed slicing the back of her neck. He then tried to slash and stab at another sergeant who’d slipped and fallen to the ground.

With his first attempt, the blade hit the floor. As Ali resumed stabbing the soldier, the mentally ill man was fortunately using the wrong end of his knife.

Originally facing nine charges including attempted murder, all “for the benefit of, at the direction of or in association with a terrorist group,” Ali was acquitted in May on the terror part of the indictment after the judge found no evidence he was acting on behalf of any group. He was instead found not criminally responsible by reason of mental disorder of the lesser, included offences.